What is Facebook Watch?

Posted by on Oct 8, 2018 in Blog | 0 comments

What is Facebook Watch?

Facebook Watch is going global.

So what is Facebook Watch? Let us explain…

It’s probably easiest if we first say what Facebook Watch isn’t. 

It’s not a bit of wearable tech. Facebook Watch isn’t an actual watch that you wear on your wrist that allows you to check Facebook everywhere. Because that would be pointless.

No. Facebook Watch is like YouTube, but on Facebook.

Which also seems a bit pointless?

But trust us – it’s not!

Facebook Watch

So It’s Like YouTube, But On Facebook?

Sort of.

Facebook Watch is a video-on-demand service. All US users have been able to access it since August 2017, but it only went global in August 2018.

The emphasis is on hosting original video content. This is produced for Facebook by partners. Here’s where the service starts to diverge from YouTube. Whereas anyone can sign up to YouTube and start producing videos, it looks like only agreed partners can make videos for Facebook Watch.

These partners earn 55% of advertising revenue, and Facebook keeps the other 45%. This revenue is generated via ad breaks either at the start of videos, or in the middle.

If you’re a Facebook user, you’ll get personalised recommendations for what to watch. There’s also categorised content bundles based on things like popularity and social media engagement. You can browse based on “Most Talked About”, “What’s Making People Laugh,” and “Shows Your Friends Are Watching.”

Who’s Making Videos for Facebook Watch?

There’s some big names involved! For example, brands like BuzzFeed, Vox and CNN are providing news. Beauty mogul Huda Kattan has a behind-the-scenes show. Jada Pinkett Smith has a chat show. There’s even been some live Major League Baseball games.

All of these things seem very American. But now that the service has been launched globally, expect to see more localised content soon.

The videos have big budgets. It seems Facebook pay up to $70,000 for a short video and up to $1 million for a long video.

So we’re not about to advise our clients to start producing videos for Facebook Watch. This is big league stuff!

However, this whole thing does make one thing clear – video is where it’s at.

Facebook Watch

Who’s Watching These Videos?

According to Facebook, more than 50 million people a month watch videos for at least 60 seconds in Watch.

Total time spent watching videos increased by 14 x between January and August 2018.

And this is just for the US. Who knows what the numbers will look like now the service has gone global?

Is Video Part of Your Content Strategy?

Facebook has created a dedicated platform for videos, and they’re spending quite a bit of money on it.

We probably don’t have to tell you just how big YouTube is. They’re currently getting nearly two billion users each month.

When it comes to Twitter, posts with videos generate 3 x more inbound links than plain text posts. Consumers are 85% more likely to make a purchase after watching a video. This might explain why online video ad revenue is growing more than 110% per year more than any other advertising.

So if video isn’t currently part of your content strategy, maybe it should be?

Get in touch if you’d like to chat about how to include video as part of a comprehensive social media strategy.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.